Effectively Storing Your Snow Toys During the Off-Season
From snowboarding to skiing in the mountains, winter is an exciting season with no shortage of thrilling outdoor experiences. It’s also the time to start thinking about where to store your summer sports equipment for the winter.
Summer toys like jet skis take up a lot of space and can be cumbersome. You can’t store them outside because the harsh winter weather can wreak havoc on the equipment. That’s where a portable storage unit comes in. It’s the perfect winter storage solution because it’s spacious, affordable and convenient.
The last thing you want is for your expensive sports equipment to get damaged. A robust, weatherproof portable storage unit protects your investment in your summer toys and keeps them pristine throughout the winter. It prolongs the life of your jet ski or golf clubs by shielding them from extreme weather conditions.
In this article, our experts in portable storage share a guide for storing your summer sports equipment.
Tips for Storing Your Summer Toys During the Winter
Here are a few tips for storing your jet ski and similar summer toys during the winter to keep them safe and secure.
- Clean it thoroughly to remove grime, then make sure it’s completely dry before you put it in storage to prevent deterioration.
- Drain all the water from the engine, positioning the back lower than the front to ensure no water is left.
- Change the oil and filter so the jet ski starts up with no issues next season.
- Spray lubricant on steering equipment, brakes and similar parts to prevent corrosion.
- Add antifreeze to the exhaust system if you think it will be exposed to extremely low temperatures. Be sure to follow your owner’s manual.
- Keep the gas tank full, and add a fuel stabilizer to keep the gas from going stale. Doing so preserves the integrity of the engine and gas lines.
- Use steel wool to block off all the vents, including the air and cooling intake and the exhaust, to prevent debris, dirt and critters from getting inside.
- Use cinder blocks to elevate the vehicle and loosen the tensioning bolts to give it breathing space.
- Remove the battery to prevent it from discharging while in storage. Place it on the mat in a climate-controlled environment away from flammable materials.
Remember to remove the steel wool and tighten the tensioning bolts before firing up the engine when it comes out of storage.
Superior Winter Portable Storage with VIAVault
VIAVault uses custom truck and lift technology to place your portable storage unit at your preferred location. As a result, you don’t need to worry about the container scarring the concrete, as is the case with traditional chain-suspended or roll-off delivery systems.
Similarly, VIAVault uses its custom lifting technology to retrieve your container for storage or re-delivery. This lifting system keeps your container in a horizontal position throughout the delivery process to ensure your belongings are intact. Additionally, the company name’s portable storage units are 10” wider than other units in the market, providing more storage for your sports equipment.
VIAVault uses hinged doors with comprehensive dual rubber seals to secure your items and keep them safe from the harsh winter weather. The inner walls of the vault are made of DuraPlate composite material, which is smooth and durable, making it robust and weather resistant.
Reliable Portable Storage Options
Storing your lifestyle toys properly during the winter season helps keep them in good working condition. There are different storage methods, each with its own advantages and drawbacks. A professional technician can help you identify the best storage facility for your lifestyle toys. Contact VIAVault to request a quote for portable storage options.